Category

Mold

How Bad Can Water Damage Be?

By | Mold | No Comments

In just a blink of an eye, a flood can completely destroy your basement. The materials used to construct your home absorb water easily, this leads to damage and ultimately puts the structural integrity of your entire home in danger. The following issues are common but can be easily fixed and restored when you ask us for help.

Mold & Mildew

Molds are a large and taxonomically diverse number of fungal species in which the growth of hyphae results in discoloration and a fuzzy appearance, especially on food. 

There are many different kinds of molds but the majority of them, and the ones we need to worry about here in the western United States require wet/damp environments to grow. Once mold starts to grow, it slowly eats away at the thing it’s growing on (how disgusting). 

Mold spores contribute to dust found in your house or in the workplace. So in large quantities, mold can be hazardous to your health, potentially causing allergic reactions, problems breathing. Irritated skin and symptoms you get when you develop a cold. As well as mold, you might get bacteria, parasites, and other types of germs in your house too.

If you detect mold growing in your home or at work, mold remediation is one of the specialties the technicians at RainFire Restoration have,  and your problem is our priority.

Structural Problems

On the surface, structural damage may seem minor but just like an iceberg, the majority of the problem is usually located underneath and needs to be investigated. Doors and windows that don’t open how they should are signs that there may be structural damage present. A few other common problems to look for are:

    • Cracks in wood structures
    • Damaged wires, pipes, and gas lines
    • Wet insulation
    • Wet electrical circuits
    • Rusty metal pieces

As we clean up the mess, we will quickly and professionally alert you of any signs of structural damage to your house.

Electrical Problems

Are you having frequent electrical surges? How about sags and dips in power? Running to the breaker box and flipping a switch doesn’t always fix the problem.  Electrical issues are common side effects of home floods when those floods aren’t cleaned up quickly and properly.

RainFire Restoration’s crew has developed into water cleanup maestros.  Our RainFire Technicians are specially trained to clean up all kinds of messes, including floods, properly, efficiently, and professionally while protecting your unaffected belongings. Give us a call if you need help removing mold, cleaning your carpet after a slight flood, or cleaning up a flooded basement and RainFire Restoration will be there for you. 

Let’s Talk About Mold

Let’s Talk About Mold

By | Mold | No Comments

Let’s Talk About Mold

Let’s talk about mold.  I know, I know. This is the last thing anyone wants to talk about.  Here in Utah where it tends to be drier, many homes brush it aside and think we don’t have to worry about it.  Unfortunately, this isn’t true! It can be tricky and expensive to remove so we’ve compiled a few tips that can help prevent the growth of mold so you can refrain from having to talk about it in the future!

Moisture Control

The number one way to help prevent mold is to watch those areas that tend to get a lot of moisture.  Bathrooms are a big one. Basements that tend to flood. Anywhere that you have seen a leak, or maybe just a window that has a lot of condensation.  Keeping an eye on these areas and putting extra effort into drying them right away is a proactive way to keep the mold away!

Check Your Ventilation

In areas that do tend to get a lot of moisture, especially the bathroom, kitchen, and laundry room, it is important to make sure that you have the proper form of ventilation to help air these rooms out.  Moisture that gets trapped in these rooms is begging for mold to grow. Dehumidifiers and AC units can be a game changer.

Get it Checked by an Expert

Unfortunately, mold is usually an issue in places that are difficult to see.  Under carpets or behind walls are the perfect place for an unwanted mold infestation to begin.  If you are worried about areas that have flooded in the past, or that maybe have had leaks, don’t hesitate to call in an expert! Catching the problem before it spreads is the best thing you can do! At RainFire Restoration, our experts are trained in identifying, containing, and remediating mold so don’t hesitate to give us a call to put your mind at ease!

Mold makes me sick!

By | Mold | No Comments

When I was in first grade, my teacher told us that if we ever opened a container of food and found mold growing there, we should throw the whole container of food away immediately. “Don’t just scrape off the moldy part and eat the rest,” Mrs. Jensen said (that’s not her real name, by the way). “You should always throw away moldy food and never eat it.”

Fast forward to when I was a Boy Scout. On week-long Scouting trips to the canyons, lakes, and mountains of Utah, it can be hard to keep food fresh. During one trip, we found some of our food was moldy. Some of my twelve-year-old peers suggested we eat it anyway. Into my mind came the warning of my first grade teacher: “Don’t just scrape off the moldy part!” I didn’t eat the moldy food, and I warned my companions not to eat it either. Not all of them listened, and they suffered the consequences. Those of us who didn’t eat it didn’t get sick!

The truth is, most folks don’t realize how bad mold can really be. My first grade teacher saved me a severe illness—perhaps even saved my life. Certain kinds of mold can be deadly (especially black mold), and most mold will make you very sick. I assume you probably aren’t eating mold on a regular basis (if you are, I strongly suggest you stop!), but ingesting mold is not the only way to be affected by it. Mold spores in the air can make you ill if you breathe them.

But you don’t have mold spores floating around in the air, do you? I’ve been quite surprised—most people aren’t aware that they have mold growing in their house. During home inspections, we commonly find mold behind walls, in insulation, behind cabinets, in food storage rooms, and anywhere else where there is moisture, a food source, and just the right temperature. Whenever we go out to remediate mold, we always wear protective gear, seal off the area, and clean ourselves up afterward with special chemicals. Why? Because mold can cause respiratory problems, skin irritation, and pretty bad illnesses. I don’t want that for myself, and I definitely don’t want it for you. You wouldn’t eat mold. Why would you live with it in your home?